Subject: Keeping your children safe this bonfire night; child injury safety
Never give sparklers to the under 5s – they will not understand how to use them safely.
Always supervise children using sparklers. Give children gloves to wear when holding sparklers. Avoid dressing children in loose or flowing clothes – they may catch light. Show children how to hold sparklers – away from their body and at arm’s length. Teach children not to wave sparklers near anyone else or run while holding them.
- Check the fireworks you buy are suitable for the size of the garden and conform to British Standards (BS 7114; 1988)
- Ensure your display area is free from hazards
- Do not tamper with fireworks
- Read the instructions in daylight
- Warn neighbours, especially the elderly and those with animals, about your display
- One person – clearly identified – should be responsible for fireworks